Thursday, June 30, 2011

day twenty

June 29th
Gold Beach to Crescent City, CA
62 miles


Woke up at 6:00AM, had some coffee and packed my stuff.  Said goodbye and headed to the store for breakfast and supplies - 2 cinnamon twists.  Big climb right outside of town.  Weather not too bad, nice and dry.  Wind back to normal, out of the north.

Arrived at the California border around 11:00AM.  Border checker waived me right through.  I wasn't as excited as I thought I would be to enter California.  I'm just ready to be done.  Miss Carlon, family, friends and everything back home.  Hoping to really start cranking out some miles now that the first half of the trip is just about done.

Arrived in Crescent City around 1:00PM.  Weather cloudy but dry.  Nowhere really to camp here or close by so I was kicking around the idea of getting a cheap hotel.  Rode around town trying to find a coffee shop or something with wifi so I could look up hotel prices.  Couldn't find anything so I just went into the first cheap hotel I saw which wasn't too bad. 

Checked in and showered, walked to Safeway for groceries.  Updated internet stuff, sat on the bed and watched tv, which felt really good.  Planning on making it to Patrick's Point State Park, which I just couldn't pass up.  BIG climbs tomorrow, biggest so far.  Redwoods also!  Hoping a good nights sleep will do me good.


leaving Gold Beach, Cape Sebastian in the far distance


climbing

climbing some more

from the "tallest bridge in Oregon"

looking North

looking south, towards Brookings and California

made it!

first view of Pacific from California

lighthouse outside Crescent City, looking south

No comments:

Post a Comment